Headaches are frequently experienced by people from time to time, especially those who are stressed by work, school, and other things. There are many causes of headaches, but most of the time, they are caused by inflammation. When your body senses that a part of it is in danger of contracting an infection, your immune system will send white blood cells to the area in large quantities quickly to protect that part. These white blood cells will release chemicals that cause inflammation, hence, resulting in pains.
Inflammation of the sinuses is one of the common causes of a headache. Aside from that, it can also be due to inflammation of the muscles lining the skull, the joints of the jaw, and the ears. Therefore, to treat headaches, you need an anti-inflammatory remedy. Well, there are lots of anti-inflammatory medicines that can be bought in pharmacies. However, these medicines are not all safe to take whenever you experience pain associated with a headache.
Some anti-inflammatory medicines, based on research, can damage the lining of the stomach when taken frequently or in high doses. Besides, these medicines can also cause liver and kidney failure when abused. If you’re looking for a remedy for your headache, but you don’t want to put yourself at risk, then it’s better to go for natural treatments. One of those that can help you is sandalwood oil.
Sandalwood Oil for Headaches
Essential oils are known for having anti-inflammatory properties. This means that they can reduce inflammation quickly and naturally, without putting you at risk of dangerous side effects. In particular, sandalwood oil has been researched for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
A scientific study has evaluated sandalwood oil’s effects on inflammation by studying its chemical composition. Based on the study, sandalwood oil’s inflammatory properties are strong and can ease different inflammatory conditions, including headaches. Therefore, it is safe to say that headaches can be alleviated quickly and effectively by sandalwood oil.
Sandalwood Oil Inhalation Method to Treat Sinus Headaches
Sandalwood oil can be used in a lot of ways to treat headaches. One of the methods is through inhalation. If you are suffering from a headache due to an inflamed sinus, then this is the best way for you to use sandalwood essential oil. It is also very easy to do.
All you need is a bottle of sandalwood oil. Remove the bottle’s cap and hold the bottle in one hand. Grip it firmly in your palm and then bring it up to your nose. The spout of the sandalwood oil bottle should be directly below one of your nostrils. Once in position, you can start inhaling it by taking long and slow breaths through your nose.
As you breathe in the oil, you should feel your sinus congestion dissolve. You can continue breathing in the sandalwood oil until your headache disappears. And unlike taking medicines, you can inhale sandalwood oil whenever you have a headache caused by sinus congestion because it will not put your health at risk.
Sandalwood Oil Topical Application Method for Tension Headaches
The most common type of headache is tension headache. However, its causes are not very clear. When you have a tension headache, you may feel a mild to moderate pain in your head. It is a dull pain where you can feel tightness or pressure around your forehead or the back of your head and neck.
Sandalwood oil can also help relieve tension headaches through topical application. If you want to relieve tension headaches by using sandalwood oil, you can follow these instructions:
- In a small bowl, pour a half tablespoon of carrier oil. You can use any carrier oil you want, such as olive oil, coconut oil, and castor oil.
- Get your sandalwood essential oil then put four drops of it into the carrier oil in the bowl.
- Stir the two oils together using a fork for about 15 seconds.
- After mixing, get a clean cotton ball and dip it into the oil mixture. Hold the cotton ball beneath the oil mixture’s surface for around 5 seconds to allow it to absorb a good amount of oil.
- After 5 seconds, take the cotton ball out of the oil mixture and then press it against one temple for 5 seconds. Then, press it against other temples, as well as on the patch of skin between your eyebrows.
You can do this sandalwood topical application method whenever you have a tension headache. In fact, you can do it several times each day, until your headache goes away.
Sandalwood Oil Steam Method for Stress Headaches
Another way to relieve tension or stress headaches using sandalwood oil is by the steam method. This is a more relaxing way that you can try, especially when you’re home from a long day at work, and you’re suffering from a headache.
- In your bathroom, shut all the windows and doors, and make sure that your exhaust fan is not turned on.
- Fill your bathtub with hot water. Make sure that it’s warm enough to produce steam, but not very hot that it will hurt your skin when it’s time to get in the tub.
- When your bathtub is filled about halfway, put 20 drops of sandalwood essential oil into it. When you do this, you will be able to smell the aroma of the sandalwood oil right away.
- When the bathtub is completely filled with water, turn off the faucet and go into the tub. Sit in a comfortable position and start taking slow, deep breaths. You can do this until your headache is gone.
The sandalwood oil steam method can be done whenever you have a headache that is caused by stress. It will help you feel relaxed and calm while relieving the tension in your whole body.
Sandalwood essential oil is indeed beneficial when it comes to treating headaches. The next time you will feel pain in your head, and you don’t want to take any medicines, you might want to try using sandalwood essential oil to ease the pain.